Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Fools Belarussian?

The Government of Belarus has imposed a ban on Chernobyl children travelling abroad.

This is an attempt to close a legislative loop hole. Up until now, children who left the country for short periods sometimes made surprise decisions not to return.

It was deemed necessary after sixteen year old Tanya Kazyra decided to stay with her ‘pair family’ in California, last August. Tanya told Associated Press last month: ‘I love my motherland and my grandmother. But my life there is hard. And I have a family here, and roller blades.’

The legislation has met with severe criticism from Adi Roche, of the Chernobyl Children’s Project International fame. Her group has brought more than 17,000 children to Ireland for treatment and recuperation since 1991.

Minister for Foreign Affairs Micheál Martin has asked Minsk to reconsider.

‘No,’ said President Aleksandr G. Lukashenko. ‘There are millions of children around the world that need help. Why have you chosen ours? Why not help the Dalits of India? Or all those homeless kids in Haiti? I’m sure any of those kids would be more than happy to spend two weeks annually in your country.’

No comments: